Only a select few RI Personal Injury Lawyers have experience litigating wrongful death cases in RI. Therefore, finding one of the best wrongful death lawyers in Providence can be difficult. The loved ones of the person who died in the accident must find an experienced and competent Providence RI Wrongful Death Attorney. A Rhode Island wrongful death attorney will help you get the compensation you are entitled to and the justice you deserve.
Rhode Island Wrongful Death Lawyer
A fatal accident case in RI is never just a wrongful death case.The fatality may have been caused by an accident or type of negligence such as a car crash, vehicular collision, motorcycle accident, van collision, pedestrian mishap, medical malpractice or fatal bus wreck. Therefore it is crucial that the Rhode Island Wrongful Death Attorney you retain have both experience in litigating tragic deadly accident cases and experience handling the particular type of accident or negligence that you are seeking representation. I have set forth the basics of fatality claims pursuant to Rhode Island law below:
The basics of tragic RI wrongful death claims
–wrongful death cases in Rhode Island cannot be pursued directly by the spouse (husband or wife) or children of the deceased. Instead of the next of kin or widow of the deceased filing a lawsuit to seek damages as a result of a tragedy, the fatal truck, motorcycle or car accident claim must be pursued by the executor or administrator of the estate of the person who died in the crash. The proceeds of the automobile death claim will be distributed by the executor to the statutory beneficiaries of the estate but will not be an asset of the estate. (Editor’s note: usually the executor of the person who was killed must retain a RI personal injury attorney with experience in wrongful death litigation.) RI law
Who is entitled to be compensated in Rhode Island from funds received as a result of a Wrongful Death Trucking or Auto accident claim?
“(1/2) shall go to the husband or widow, and one-half (1/2) shall go to the children of the deceased, and if there are no children, the whole shall go to the husband or widow, and, if there is no husband or widow, to the next of kin, in the proportion provided by law in relation to the distribution of personal property left by persons dying intestate;” RI law
Statute of limitations
There is a three year Statute of Limitations for death by Wrongful Act in Rhode Island. Normally, missing the applicable time period under a SOL will be an absolute bar to any claim for damages as a result of a RI car accident. However, in extreme or unusual circumstances, this statute of limitations can be extended.
“With respect to any death caused by any wrongful act, neglect or default which is not known at the time of death, the action shall be commenced within three (3) years of the time that the wrongful act, neglect or default is discovered or, in the exercise of reasonable diligence, should have been discovered.” http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE10/10-7/10-7-2.HTM
If a person or entity is found responsible for a wrongful death pursuant to RI General law 10-7 is there minimum compensation available from the negligent tortfeasor?
“Whenever any person or corporation is found liable under §§ 10-7-1 – 10-7-4 he or she or it shall be liable in damages in the sum of not less than two hundred fifty thousand dollars ($250,000).” Law This law makes a lot of common sense since it would be a slap in the face to the victim’s child or widow to learn that a jury did not value the deceased life at least two hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Are Punitive damages a possibility as a result of a wrongful death? If yes, what types of deadly crashes warrant an award of punitive damages? “§ 10-7-7.1 Punitive damages.
“In an action commenced under § 10-7-5, recovery may be had for punitive damages if such damages would have been recoverable had the decedent survived” http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/title10/10-7/10-7-7.1.HTM
Punitive damages law in RI
Pursuant to RI law, the Plaintiff must jump through a number of hoops in order to be awarded punitive damages. The following types of cases may warrant an award of punitive damages: drunk or drugged driving, assault, reckless conduct, drowsy driving, firing a gun, sexual assault, drag racing, car stunts etc.
In order for a defendant to be liable for punitive damages in RI, The Plaintiff must establish “that the defendant acted willfully and with malice or in bad faith. Izep v. Winoker, 589 A.2d 824 (R.I. 1991); Morin v. Aetna Casualty and Surety Co., 478 A.2d 964, 967 (R.I. 1984). To establish a claim for punitive damages, the plaintiff must allege and prove that the defendant acted with the intent to cause harm. Wilson Auto Enterprises, Inc. v. Mobil Oil Corp., 778 F. Supp. 101, 107 (D.R.I. 1991). The courts have characterized punitive damages as an extraordinary sanction which should be awarded with great caution and within narrow limits.” D’Amato v. Rhode Island Hospital Trust National Bank, 772 F. Supp. 1322, 1324 (D.R.I. 1991). Quot from :CAROL A. LESSARD : : VS. : C.A. No. KC 10-0369 : KENT COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL : AND RAYMOND J. MIS, D.O.,
Can punitive damages be covered by Insurance?
According to the Insurance Journal: “There is no statute on this subject in Rhode Island but this issue has been addressed by the Rhode Island Supreme Court, Superintendent Torti said. In evaluating a claim for recovery of punitive damages from an insurer, the Rhode Island Supreme Court has acknowledged in the case of Allen v. Simmons, 522 A.2d 541 (R.I. 1987) a split between jurisdictions but concluded that the sounder approach bars the wrongdoer from shifting the punitive damages to the insurer, Superintendent Torti said.”
If your loved one was killed as a result of the negligence of a third party, corporation then it is crucial that you immediately retain a Rhode Island Wrongful Death Lawyer to get proper legal representation. The attorney may need to open an estate for the deceased person and pursue wrongful death litigation in Providence Superior Court. Some of the more common wrongful death causes of action are set forth below:
Tractor trailer Accidents
Sadly, many big rig accidents with cars and pedestrians in Rhode Island are fatal. According to legalinfo.com “A trucking accident occurs when large trailers (10,000+ lbs.) collide with other vehicles or pedestrians. Around 500,000 trucking accidents occur every year in the United States. Of these, approximately 5,000 trucking accidents result in fatalities. In fact, one out of every eight traffic fatalities involves a trucking collision.” Legal Info
IN Tom v. SB INC., Dist. Court, D. New Mexico 2013 The New Mexico Court issued an important Trucking crash expert testimony decision. The Court state: “Mr. Feder may present his opinion of the sequence of events leading up to the accident based upon a scenario where the decedent stopped beyond the stop sign. He may further testify about the possibility that the decedent stopped his vehicle while he was attempting to make a left-hand turn across Mr. Ruff’s lane, and about the impact of that decision on Mr. Ruff’s potential recourses of turning right or maintaining his lane. Mr. Feder may not, however, testify that veering left was the only “reasonable” evasive maneuver. Assuming its relevance, he may give an opinion that, based upon pertinent studies, veering left was a natural reaction in this circumstance.”
“Although most of those claims are dropped or dismissed, the new survey from the AMA shows that most physicians will be sued for malpractice at some point in their careers. This works out to an average of 95 medical malpractice lawsuits having been filed for every 100 physicians now in practice, according to the association.” ABC News
Fatal Construction related Accidents
There are hundreds of types of construction related injury and death claims that occur in Rhode Island. These Rhode Island Construction Accidents range from crane accidents to slip and falls. Some of the most common types of construction accidents and death causes of action result from scaffold accidents, falls, crane accidents, front loader accidents, backhoe mishaps, ladder accidents, electrocution, falls and being struck by falling objects.
According to the Occupational Safety and Health administration (OSHA), “Out of 3,945* worker fatalities in private industry in calendar year 2012, 775 or 19.6% were in construction. The leading causes of worker deaths on construction sites were falls, followed by struck by object, electrocution, and caught-in/between. These “Fatal Four” were responsible for nearly three out of five (56%) construction worker deaths in 2012*, BLS reports. Eliminating the Fatal Four would save 435 workers’ lives in America every year”. https://www.osha.gov/oshstats/commonstats.html
If you were injured in a construction accident in Rhode Island then it is crucial that you immediately retain a RI Construction accident Lawyer who is also a Rhode Island Wrongful Death Attorney.
Motor vehicle crashes
Car accidents, bicycle accidents and motorcycle accidents in Rhode Island are often caused by speeding, distracted driving, drunk driving, drowsy/sleepy driving, reckless driving and violating vehicular road ordinances. There are hundreds of different types of vehicular accidents including your standard rear-ender and T-bone accidents at intersections. In this day and age, there are hundreds of auto accidents caused by distracted driving and texting while driving. If you are injured in a car accident in RI then you should immediately contact a Rhode Island car accident Attorney.
Multi-car accidents can be caused by icy or slippery roads in which one car is unable to stop as a result of the road conditions leading to a chain reaction of rear-enders.
Drunk Driving, Reckless Driving, Stoned & Drugged Driving Death Resulting
Driving while Intoxicated (DUI & DWI) is a major cause of car accident fatalities in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. “In 2010 Rhode Island had 64 fatal car crashes, which resulted in 66 fatalities, 38% of which involved a drunk driver. The total traffic-related fatality rate for Rhode Island was 6.27 fatalities per 100,000 people which was very low for 2010.” http://vehicle-fatalities.findthedata.org/l/40/Rhode-Island
According to the center for Disease Control (CDC) “In 2008, motor vehicle crash-related deaths involving cars and light trucks reached an all-time low in the United States. At the same time, however, motorcyclist deaths reached an all-time high, more than doubling between 1999 and 2008.A recent CDC study found that “Between 2001 and 2008, more than 34,000 motorcyclists were killed and an estimated 1,222,000 persons were treated in a U.S. emergency department (ED) for a non-fatal motorcycle-related ri fatal accident
“In 2011, 677 pedal cyclists were killed and an additional 48,000 were injured in motor vehicle traffic crashes. Pedal cyclist deaths accounted for 2 percent of all motor vehicle traffic fatalities (Table 1), and made up 2 percent of the people injured in traffic crashes during the year.For the purpose of this Traffic Safety Fact Sheet, bicyclists and other cyclists include riders of two-wheel nonmotorized vehicles, tricycles, and unicycles powered solely by pedals. Throughout the remainder of this fact sheet the term pedal cyclist will be used to identify these cyclists.” http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811743.pdf
Wrongful Death Pedestrian Accident:
According to the CDC, “In 2010, 4,280 pedestrians were killed in traffic crashes in the United States, and another 70,000 pedestrians were injured. This averages to one crash-related pedestrian death every 2 hours, and a pedestrian injury every 8 minutes.1 Pedestrians are 1.5 times more likely than passenger vehicle occupants to be killed in a car crash on each trip.2 ” http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/Pedestrian_Safety/index.html
“Pedestrians—people who travel by foot, wheelchair, stroller, or similar means—are among the most vulnerable users of the road.In the next 24 hours, on average, more than 460 people will be treated in an emergency department for traffic-related pedestrian injuries.1 In the next 2 hours, on average, one pedestrian will die from injuries in a traffic crash.2More than 4,200 pedestrians were killed in traffic deaths in 2010, and another 70,000 were injured.2 With numbers like these, it’s critical that you understand the risks and learn how to stay safe.” CDC
There are hundreds of different types of distracted driving and one of the most dangerous appears to be texting while driving. Other types of distracted driving in Rhode Island include manipulating a gps, web surfing, cell/ mobile phone operation, eating while driving, watching a video while driving and many other types of distracted driving . Source
“Ten percent of fatal crashes, 18 percent of injury crashes, and 16 percent of all motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2012 were reported as distraction-affected crashes. In 2012, there were 3,328 people killed and an estimated additional 421,000 injured” Citation
Boat Accidents- Sailboats and Motorboat accidents
“What are the causes of Boating accidents in Rhode Island? -Motorboats, sailboats, jet skis or other watercraft colliding with other boats.-Slip and Fall or Trip and Fall Boat Accidents.-Reckless Boat Driving, Drunk Driving (DUI) and inexperienced boat operators.” http://www.rhodeislandpersonalinjuryattorneyblog.com/2012/05/rhode-island-boat-accident-lawyer-ri-boat-accident-attorneys/
Slip and fall deaths
Premises Liability accidents are one of the most common types of accidents resulting in death. Premises Liability also includes construction accidents, negligent security, trip and fall as well as slip and fall mishaps.
The Providence Superior Court reasoned that: “Premises liability” is defined in Black’s Law Dictionary 1199 (7th ed. 1999) as “[a]landowner’s or landowner’s tort liability for conditions or activities on the premises.” Premises liability law in Rhode Island “imposes an affirmative duty upon owners and possessors of property: ‘to exercise reasonable care for the safety of persons reasonably expected to be on the premises . . . includ[ing] and obligation to protect against the risks of a dangerous condition existing on the premises, provided the landowner knows of, or by the exercise of reasonable care would have discovered, the dangerous condition.’” Kurczy v. St. Joseph Veterans Ass’n, Inc., 5820 A.2d 929, 935 (R.I. 2003) (quoting Tancrelle v. Friendly Ice Cream Corp., 756 A.2d 744,752 (R.I. 2000))” FARAH PAUL : : VS. : C.A. NO. PC 06-0287 : STATE OF RHODE ISLAND AND :PROVIDENCE PLANTATIONS, alias
Work related Wrongful Death accidents
If a person is killed while working, their estate they will be required to seek wrongful death damages against the employer in RI workers compensation Court. In Workers Compensation court in Rhode Island, negligence is not required for the estate to be compensated for the death of an employee while in the scope of employment. However, the deceased employee can still bring a wrongful death lawsuit in Superior Court against third parties who were at fault for an accident even if an employee was in the scope of their employment.
If your loved one was killed while working then you should retain a RI workers compensation attorney. Pursuant to RI Law 10-7-1 a wrongful death cause of action is a viable claim in Rhode Island Courts.
§ 10-7-1 Liability for damages for causing death. – Whenever the death of a person shall be caused by the wrongful act, neglect, or default of another, and the act, neglect, or default is such as would, if death had not ensued, have entitled the party injured to maintain an action and recover damages in respect thereof, the person who, or the corporation which, would have been liable if death had not ensued shall be liable to an action for damages, notwithstanding the death of the person injured, and although the death shall have been caused under such circumstances as amount in law to a felony.
A RI wrongful death cause of action could also be a medical malpractice, product liability or motor vehicle claim. If a loved one was killed in an accident then you should immediately retain a Rhode Island Wrongful Death Attorney. A Rhode Island Wrongful Death Attorney will fight to get your family justice and top dollar compensation.
Providence includes the general area and specifically East providence, Pawtucket, Cranston, Warwick, Barrington, Bristol, Warren, Johnston, East Greenwich, North providence.
Analyzing fatal accident statistics in Rhode Island and Providence Plantations can be very informative. These deadly crash statistics can even help lawmakers and public safety officials in Rhode Island make important public policy initiatives. If your family member, spouse, father, mother or child was killed in a fatal motor vehicle collision in Rhode Island and Providence Plantations then you need to contact a Rhode Island wrongful death attorney. A RI car accident lawyer who is also a RI wrongful death lawyer will help your family get justice as well as the compensation that you are entitled to.
Fatal car accidents leading to Rhode Island wrongful death litigation could be caused by hundreds of factors including: speeding, drunk driving (dui), lane violation, drugged driving, texting while driving, distracted driving and reckless driving. Make sure you do not see the accident victim as a statistics, look at the human side by going to:
Rhode Island fatal motor vehicle accident
The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (nhtsa) compiles interesting statistics which the public and lawmakers can learn a great deal from. In 2014 there were 52 traffic related deaths in Rhode Island and Providence Plantations which was down from 65 in 2103. In 2013 there were .84 Fatalities per 100 Million Vehicle Miles Driven. Of the 52 people killed in the calendar year of 2014, 25 were defined as “Passenger Vehicle Occupant Fatalities” by the NHTSA. Unbelievably, 9 of these people killed were not wearing seat-belts. 18 of the 54 deaths constituted “Alcohol-Impaired Driving Fatalities (BAC=.08+)” 12 of the 52 were “Speeding-Related Fatalities” Source
For a five year moving average in Rhode Island go here: NHTSA
How are deadly collision financial damages determined?
Establish the gross income over the decedent’s total life expectancy and set the amount to present value subtracting personal expenses the decedent would have spent on himself or herself. If the person who was killed in the fatal car, truck or motorcycle accident was a homemaker then the beneficiary may collect the fair value of the homemaker’s service. § 10-7-1.1 Pecuniary damages – How determined.*
Who are the rightful beneficiaries when someone is killed in a fatal RI motor vehicle, tractor trailer truck, motorcycle, bicycle or other deadly wreck in Rhode Island and Providence Plantations?
The wife, husband or spouse of the person who was tragically killed in the crash may recover monetary damages as a result of a deadly Providence semi-truck , big rig , 18-wheeler crash or other fatal RI bike, pedestrian or construction mishap.
“…minors may recover damages against the person for the loss of parental society and companionship.… the parent or parents of the minor may recover damages against the person for the loss of the minor’s society and companionship. Law server
“…one-half (1/2) shall go to the husband or widow, and one-half (1/2) shall go to the children of the deceased, and if there are no children, the whole shall go to the husband or widow, and, if there is no husband or widow, to the next of kin, in the proportion provided by law in relation to the distribution of personal property left by persons dying intestate…” http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/rhode-island/ri-laws/rhode_island_general_laws_10-7-2
Pursuant to Rhode Island wrongful death laws, the statutory beneficiaries are not allowed to file a wrongful death cause of action against the negligent at fault torfeasor. Only the estate of the deceased acting through the executor or administrator may file a wrongful death cause of action against the person or entity responsible for the untimely death. Surprisingly, the monetary award garnered by the RI wrongful death lawyers representing the executor of the deceased is not an asset of the probate estate. Therefore, the creditors of the person killed in the motorcycle crash or RI car accident is not entitled to any of the proceeds received from a settlement or judgment.
Worldwide road accident Statistics
It is important to examine not only statistics in the United States but to analyze worldwide stats. There were 14 pedestrian fatalities in 2014. 10 motorcyclists perished in motor vehicle accidents in 2014. Of those 10 deaths, 7 were unhelmeted and 3 motorcyclists were wearing helmets.
- Approximately 1.3 million people are killed in in motor vehicle collisions every calendar year, this is about 3,287 fatalities in a 24 hour period
- This does not include men woman and children who are maimed, injured or even become disabled 20-50 million.
- Greater than 50 percent of fatal motor vehicle road, street or highway fatalities happen to younger people between 15-44 years old.
- Motor vehicle, car, truck and road accidents are the 9th greatest cause of fatality. 2.2% of all people killed across the world are a result of motor vehicle and road crashes.
- Street, roadway and highway accidents constitute the highest cause of fatality between people who are 15-29, it is the 2nd highest cause of fatalities in the entire world for children between 5-14 years old. Statistics from the Association for safe international road travel http://asirt.org/initiatives/informing-road-users/road-safety-facts/road-crash-statistics
All Rhode Island wrongful death attorneys are also RI personal injury lawyers. The difference is that Providence Rhode Island wrongful death lawyers are injury attorneys in Rhode island who have experience litigating fatal accidents in RI. Therefore, always ask the Rhode island personal injury lawyer what his or her experience is in litigating fatal premises liability, construction accident, slip and fall or motor vehicle crash litigation.
Statistically, some car, truck and motor vehicle accidents have higher fatality rates in the United States and in Rhode Island than others. Statistics will not give you the only answer that you need. Also search the following terms: “projo obituaries today” and “projo obituaries past 3 days” to get the human side of such accidents. Only by a proper understanding of statistics related to deadly accidents and collisions in RI, MA and across the country can we learn how to prevent fatalities. Rhode Island wrongful death lawyers will fight to get you the justice you deserve. Consider the following 19 crash fatality statistics:
Wrongful death attorney in RI
- In 2014, alcohol played a part in over 50 percent of all fatal crashes in every state.
- Fatalities were higher in rural areas than in urban or suburban areas. In 2014, 51 percent of all fatalities were in rural areas.
- According to the Center for Disease Control, or CDC, motor vehicles are the major factor in teen deaths, with six teens dying every day from motor vehicle incidents.
- In 2014, roughly 435,000 people were killed or injured in motor vehicle crashes as a result of distracted driving. Anything that distracts a driver, whether it is texting, talking on a phone, eating, or any other activity, is considered distracted driving.
- Drivers under the age of 20 were involved in 10 percent of all fatalities from distracted driving.
- Teenaged drivers are three times as apt to be involved in a fatal crash, mostly due to lack of experience behind the wheel.
- Male teen drivers have almost twice as many fatalities as their female counterparts.
- According to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration, or NHTSA, 38 percent of fatalities in 2013 involved drivers in their 20’s who were classified as distracted drivers.
- Every second during daylight hours, about 660,000 people are using electronic devices while driving.
- Five seconds doesn’t seem like much. However, in the few seconds it takes to send a text, a vehicle traveling at 55 mph can traverse the length of a football field. That equates to driving blindfolded if that few seconds is distracted driving.
- Motorcycle riders have a fatality rate close to 30 times that of a car.
- Helmets provide close to 40 percent effectiveness in preventing a motorcycle fatality and are almost 70 percent effective in preventing brain injury.
- In 2014, motorcycle fatalities accounted for 13 percent of all motor vehicle fatalities. Many of those could have been prevented by wearing a helmet.
- Seniors aged 70 to 74 begin to have a higher incidence of vehicle fatalities than younger drivers. Drivers who are 85 years and older have the highest fatality rate.
- Alcohol is least likely to play a part in a vehicle crash involving older drivers.
- Wearing a seat belt reduces the risk of fatality by 45 percent for passengers in the front seat, 73 percent for those in the rear seats.
- In 2012, according to the NHTSA, excess speed was involved in 30 percent of highway fatalities, resulting in the loss of 10,219 lives.
- In 2013, 10,076 people died as a result of alcohol impairment. This equates to almost one-third of all traffic fatalities nationwide.
- In 2013, 17 percent of all traffic deaths involving children under the age of 14 were due to a driver who was under the influence of alcohol.
fatal accident rhode island
- According to the Jefferson County Sheriff’s office, the male driver of a motorcycle was killed shortly before 10 Monday morning when the motorcycle collided with the rear end of a truck. The motorcycle and driver were then hir by a car. The driver was pronounced dead at the scene. The investigation into the crash is ongoing.” Deputy: Motorcycle driver dies after rear ending truck, being struck by car
Hiring Rhode wrongful death lawyers
Many consequences of a vehicular accident such as motorcycle, trucking and car wrecks may not be immediately discernible. It’s best to seek legal advice from a RI wrongful death attorney before agreeing to a settlement with an individual or his or her insurance company.
A RI wrongful death attorney who is also a RI car accident attorney or Rhode Island wrongful death lawyers will fight the insurance company to get the decedent’s survivors the compensation they deserve and hold the tortfeasor responsible for their carelessness, recklessness or malfeasance.
accident is a devastating, painful experience. Learning that a loss was caused by the negligent actions of others makes grieving unbearable. The unforeseen death brings untold heartbreak and loss felt by family and friends. In all likelihood, their untimely death created financial repercussions that make their untimely passing even harder. The reality of a fatal accident sometimes sets in when a loved on looks at the projo obituaries for the first time
Wrongful death in Rhode Island is a legal term that defines the death of an individual that was caused by the misconduct, negligence or reckless actions of others. The State Of Rhode Island tort law gives certain surviving family members the opportunity to file a wrongful death lawsuit as a way to seek financial recovery for their damages. The legally designed wrongful death action can provide financial compensation to certain relatives who depended on the deceased for emotional, loving and financial support. projo obituaries often do not tell the story of how the victim died.
In Rhode Island, a wrongful death cause of action must be pursued by the executor or administrator of the person killed in the fatal motorcycle, car or truck crash. If you need to find out the human side of the fatal accident and look behind the statistics, please search: projo obituaries today and projo obituaries past 3 days
Hiring a lawyer
In all likelihood, you have been considering filing a wrongful death lawsuit to get compensation for the fatal RI motor vehicle or premises liability accident as a way to receive financial compensation for your losses. Compensation through civil action can assist you in paying off your accumulated bills to get the family’s life back on track. But exactly what are the most effective steps for hiring the best Rhode Island wrongful death attorney to handle your motorcycle or car accident case to ensure the surviving family members receive adequate compensation?
Choosing a Wrongful Death Lawyer
In your community, there are literally hundreds of available personal injury attorneys who handle wrongful death cases. However, not every lawyer is specifically qualified to handle a fatal car, motorcycle, semi truck or bicycle mishap. Because of that, you must choose a wrongful death lawyer and texting while walking attorney based on specific factors that include:
- Accessibility to Resources – The only way a tractor trailer (big rig), bicycle or motorcycle collision attorney can effectively litigate your case while you pursue a wrongful death lawsuit is to have accessibility to a variety of resources and support staff. The East Providence law firm will need to gather evidence, obtain experts, investigate the accident or incident, speak to eyewitnesses and take depositions to build a solid case to prove your negligence cause of action.
- Qualified Experience – Only RI personal injury attorneys that have substantial past experience in deadly vehicular wreck litigation will have skills to successfully litigate and win your wrongful death claim. The lawyer will have a solid reputation in the community built on their comprehensive understanding of state tort law. Their experience will include strong negotiating skills to navigate the complexities of settling the case out of court, and strong litigation skills to represent your evidence to prove the case in front of a judge and jury.
- Dedication, Passion and Diligence – With a license to practice law, attorneys can take nearly any type of case. However, you can serve your best interest by choosing law firms that dedicate a large portion of their practice to handling wrongful death claims. These claims can include bike accidents, motorcycle crashes as well as fatal automobile collisions.These attorneys will share your passion for holding those responsible for the death of your loved one accountable for their neglect. Their diligence typically drives them to a successful resolution of their cases.
- Proven Results – In many wrongful death cases, the defendants are large corporations and big insurance companies that hire the best legal minds. Their efforts help minimize the amount of compensation insurance carriers payout to automobile accident victims. To even the playing field, you will need to select a RI car accident attorney that has solid proven results in previous cases. Their proven track record will assist in providing you exceptional results when handling your case.
In your search to hire the best wrongful death motor vehicle attorney for your case, it is essential to choose those that are well-established in the community, can spend adequate time working on your case and keep in close contact with you throughout the process. Your RI truck accident (tractor trailer) attorney will share your passion when seeking justice and provide you the peace of mind you need to move on with your life.
The best Rhode Island motorcycle accident attorneys are those that are prepared to do the necessary work to assist you when recovering your financial losses through adequate recompense. The successful resolution of your case can help minimize or alleviate your emotional and physical damage you suffer because of the loss of your loved one. The injury victim does not want an ambulance chaser who is searching through the projo obituaries on a day to day basis.
Texting while walking is dangerous. However, the vehicle may also be negligent for your injuries even though you were texting while walking.
“In one experiment, Nasar found that people on cellphones are 48 percent more likely to walk unsafely into oncoming traffic. Another study showed that injuries of pedestrians on phones more than doubled between 2004 and 2010. In fact, in 2010, the number of pedestrian injuries while texting exceeded the number of texting and driving injuries.” Texting While Walking: Are You Cautious Or Clueless? npr
Tens of thousands of individuals lose their lives every year in the United States as victims of accidents involving automobiles, drug poisoning, slip and falls, alcohol, fire and drownings. In recent years, the mortality rate for men involved in accidents has decreased slightly, while the statistics of women dying in an accident has remained virtually unchanged. If you need to find out the human side of the fatal accident and look behind the statistics, please search projo obituaries today and projo obituaries past 3 days.
If a loved one was killed in a fatal accident in RI, contact a wrongful death attorney in RI. The most common fatal accidents in Rhode Island occur on the roadway, on-the-job and at home. They include:
1. Fatal Car Accidents in Rhode Island – Drunk driving takes the lives of nearly half of all fatality victims in major cities. Other contributing factors include improper lane changing, short stopping, tailgating, flashing lights and distraction. In rural areas, most vehicle accidents are caused by distraction, fatigue, improper passing and aggressive driving.
2. Bicycling Accidents in RI – Serious bicycle accidents happening in urban areas take the lives of nearly three out of every four victims, and one out of every two bicycle accident victims on rural roads. Nearly all catastrophic bicycle accidents occur at intersections during daylight. Most bicycle victims die from major head injuries.
3. Falling off a Ladder – Many fatalities involve construction workers and do-it-yourself homeowners in Rhode Island falling from a high location including off a ladder. While falling a short distance can cause significant head injuries, broken bones, sprains and lacerations, the risk to suffering a fatality can increase when falling from heights 10 feet and higher.
4. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – Because victims cannot see, taste or smell carbon monoxide, many deaths occur from faulty fuel-fed heating equipment. The silent killer often renders its victims unconscious within minutes without any warning. Because of that, it is essential to have all gas appliances routinely inspected and always leave the garage door open for a minute or two to allow fumes from the car’s engine to escape.
5. Fires – Uncontrollable flames is the number three cause of accidental fatalities in the home and on the job. Fires often occur from heating equipment, matches, electrical appliances, smoking and cooking. Many fire-associated fatalities can be prevented by ensuring that smoke detectors are working and active, and that candles and cigarettes are never left unattended.
6. Drowning – Water at the beach and in pools, bathtubs and spas can be very enticing to children. Many child drownings occur in community pools and neighborhood backyards due to lack of supervision or lifeguards. The potential of dying from drowning can be minimized by using CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) once the victim is removed from the water.
7. Death by Electricity – Many workers and homeowners die by electrical accidents through electric shock, contact with a power line or electrocution. Electrical fatalities can occur from unsafe environments, lack of supervision, dangerous working conditions and not taking preventative measures when working on rooftops or near electrical poles.
8. Poisoning – Even with precautions, labeling and preventative measures, many individuals die by poisoning every year, with the typical age of victims averaging five years old and under. Many poisoning deaths can be prevented, especially when young children have limited access to household chemicals and medications.
9. Choking and Suffocation – Young children and the elderly are highly susceptible to death through choking and suffocation. Limiting young children access to common small household objects and baby proof precautions throughout the household can eliminate many of these fatalities.
10. Firearm Accident – Sadly, firearm fatalities are all too common when a gun accidentally discharges. These deaths can be prevented when every member of the family learns proper gun safety when handling, storing and using any firing weapon.
To minimize the potential of being involved in an accident with fatalities, it is best to take a common sense approach concerning safety and injury prevention. Children must be supervised at all times, especially when in and around dangerous environments.
When the death is caused by the neglect of another individual or entity, surviving family members of a loved one lost to a fatal accident usually have the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit against all parties at fault for causing death. If a loved one, child, spouse or family member is killed in a Rhode Island fatal car, truck, motorcycle or other type of deadly accident than contact a Rhode Island wrongful death lawyer. A RI wrongful death attorney can help the survivors get the compensation as a result of the wrongful death in RI. best wrongful death attorney ri
- NHTSA’s NCSA Research Note “2014 Motor Vehicle Crashes: Overview” (DOT HS 812 246), “The number of motor vehicle crash fatalities on U.S. roadways in 2014 continued the general decline that started in 2006. The Nation lost 32,675 people in crashes on roadways during 2014, down from 32,894 in 2013. The estimated number of people injured on the Nation’s roads increased in 2014, rising from 2.31 to 2.34 million injured people. Fatalities declined from 2013 to 2014 in almost all segments of the population—passenger vehicle occupants, large-truck occupants, pedalcyclists, young drivers, and with alcohol-impaired driving fatalities; only pedestrian fatalities increased by 2.2 percent. Although fatali¬ties decreased from 2013 to 2014, the estimated number of police-reported crashes that occurred on the roads increased— primarily a result of an almost 8-percent increase in crashes that resulted in no injuries, only property damage.” projo obituaries today