Obtaining a new negligence and tort lawyer in Rhode Island can be a stressful process. It is crucial that you retain one of the top Rhode Island personal injury lawyers. High powered Rhode Island personal injury lawyers or hernia mesh attorneys will fight to get you the compensation that you deserve for your injuries resulting from a vehicular crash.
Obtaining new lawyers
If I am a victim of an accident in Rhode Island and I am dissatisfied with my Rhode Island personal injury lawyers who I am paying to handle my case, do I have the right to get a new attorney to handle my case?
If you are the victim of an auto accident or have a personal injury claim due to someone else’s negligence, you deserve to be compensated. You also deserve good representation from a lawyer who will fight hard in court for your cause. Rhode Island law states that if you are unhappy with the services of a lawyer, you can obtain different legal counsel to handle your claim.
You are not required under any circumstances to remain with an attorney that you do not feel is handling your case adequately. It is also required that the first attorney (or the old attorney) turn over your case information to the new legal team. Your entire case file will travel to the new lawyer with you, it is the law.
- can i fire my attorney personal injury?
- can i fire my personal injury attorney and represent myself?
- can i fire my lawyer before settlement?
- firing an attorney on contingency
- not happy with personal injury lawyer
- can i fire my RI attorney and represent myself?
- how to fire a lawyer letter sample
- good cause to fire a lawyer
Who will pay my discharged Rhode Island personal injury lawyers?
Who will pay the bill for the services that I received from my old Rhode Island personal injury lawyers if i find a new lawyer who is licensed in Rhode Island to handle Personal Injury?
In a nutshell, you do not have to worry about paying your old attorney if you switch counsel but if you win a settlement, that might change. He can put a lien on your property and get paid for his services that he provided during the time of his representation if you win your claim. If you do not, you do not have to pay him. Payment would only occur after a settlement and never when you change to a new lawyer.
- “Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day.
- An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled.
- More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.
- Road traffic crashes rank as the 9th leading cause of death and account for 2.2% of all deaths globally.
- Road crashes are the leading cause of death among young people ages 15-29, and the second leading cause of death worldwide among young people ages 5-14.
- Each year nearly 400,000 people under 25 die on the world’s roads, on average over 1,000 a day.
- Over 90% of all road fatalities occur in low and middle-income countries, which have less than half of the world’s vehicles.
- Road crashes cost USD $518 billion globally, costing individual countries from 1-2% of their annual GDP.
- Road crashes cost low and middle-income countries USD $65 billion annually, exceeding the total amount received in developmental assistance.
- Unless action is taken, road traffic injuries are predicted to become the fifth leading cause of death by 2030.” ASIRT
Car accident lawyers will split the fee
Once the case has been decided and settled in court, the two attorneys who have worked on your case will split the legal fee as they see fit. You, as the victim, do not have to worry about how to split up the funds because the lawyers handle it. This means, in other words, that you do not have to pay an extra legal fee if you switch to a new Rhode Island Personal Injury attorney during your case. The new lawyer and old lawyer meet and make an agreement about how funds will be split up, which will probably be based on how much work each one actually did while representing you.
The common legal fee for an attorney in this type of case is thirty three percent (33%). This means that once a verdict is made and you receive your judgement, the lawyer will get 33% of your money. In the case of two attorneys rendering representation during the case process, they will split this fee, which is the common fee and is paid on a contingency basis. A contingency basis means that they do not get paid unless you win and also get paid for the injury that you incurred. This means that if the victim loses, they often do not have any out of pocket costs for the lawsuit. In the case of two attorneys, which is what has been discussed on this page, they split the thirty three percent contingency fee.